Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, February 06, 2006

STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS:

THOUGHTS SPOKEN AND UNSPOKEN


by Anne G. Davies


As your president, graced by God's blessing,
I'll tell you how our country's progressing.
The union's strong, the economy's booming
Despite Democratic gloom and dooming.
I'll even acknowledge greenhouse emissions
Hurt our environment under certain conditions.

As for the addiction to gases and oils
Now that the industry's reaped the spoils,
I'll give my good buddies plenty of tools
So they can be first to develop alternate fuels
I don't know what hybrid will rule the road
But Halliburton will own the mother lode.

Iraq has not been a Coalition romp
But I deny it's become an American Swamp.
The insurgents will fall for democracy's charms,
Of their own free will, they'll lay down their arms.
Sunni and Shia will patch up their grievances
And that will be one my greatest achievances.

I've noticed the growth in partisan feeling
Time to promote Congressional healing.
Cheney says to throw Dems a bone
And try to adopt a friendlier tone.
At first, we'll demonstrate humility
While praising bipartisan civility.
Then back to the gospel according to Rove
Hitting them with thunderbolts worthy of Jove.

We can't let terrorists again catch us napping
So I'll continue unwarranted wiretapping
We're at permanent war with barbarians
I don't need trouble from civil libertarians.

And I'll say it out loud-no need to be stealthy
Once again I urge tax cuts for the wealthy
It won't raise the deficit, of that I'm quite sure:
I'll make equivalent cuts in aid to the poor.

It's an honor to lead the world's greatest nation
On the country's behalf, I accept your ovation.


Anne G. Davies is a fund-raising writer by profession and a writer and versifier by avocation. Her work has been published on local and regional papers. She lives in Lexington, Massachusetts.